17 September 2018

The Lord's Prayer for Missionaries; Crossing Cultures in Scripture, by Marvin J. Newell


The Lord's Prayer was offered by Jesus as a pattern for all believers. It helps us identify and focus on aspects of our relationships with God, others, and self that are most important.

Have you ever pondered the Lord's Prayer in light of the missionary's cross-cultural task? There are eleven core issues: three relating to God's person, three to his program, and five to God's cross-cultural messenger.

When we step back from the throes of ministry immersion and reflect on our involvement in his missional program, we gain a reassurance of purposefulness in our cross-cultural engagements.

- - - - -

Our Father
You are the transcendent, omnipotent God, the one and only true God. Yet, you have sent me out as your ambassador to proclaim you as a loving, caring Father. You are worthy of all praise.

In heaven
You are totally other than your creation. You exist outside and above all that you have made. I declare to the all around me the paradox that you reside in unapproachable light, yet make yourself approachable to the lowest of people through your son, Jesus Christ.



Hallowed by your name
The ultimate end of every person, and certainly my labor as your messenger, is to bring unadulterated worship to you. This is the core message I proclaim to people who ignore your majesty and violate the standards of your holiness.

Your Kingdom come
You have sent me to other kingdoms of this world, where wrongs won't be righted and justice won't be served until you come and establish your eternal kingdom. You are the king of all, and yours in the dominion forever and ever.

Your will be done
As your servant, I have enfolded my will into yours. In following your will for my life, you sent me to this far and distant land, to a people much different from me. This has been good, and the longer I'm here, the longer I see the goodness of your will being done through my life. My presence here is part of your purposeful design. I value your will for my life.

On earth as it is in heaven
I am learning more and more about your plan for those living across the span of this vast earth. You aren't willing that any should perish. Use me to help make your will become a reality in this corner of the earth, where you have sent me.



Give me this day my daily bread
Lord, my daily bread is supplied through the generosity of your people. You have blessed them so they can be a blessing to me, as well as to the people to whom you have connected me. I never seem to have a lot, but I always have enough. My supporters are generous and I thank you for supplying my daily needs.

Forgive our debts
A lot of people make my ministry possible. Help all of us to continue going forward together in harmony and oneness of spirit.

As we also have forgiven our debtors
I have learned to forgive people here who have opposed or offended me: government officials, local pastors who jockey for position, jealous or hostile locals, etc. Help me to continually forgive, for tension with others will always be my lot as long as I'm on a mission with you.



Lead me not into temptation
Even as a missionary, I am tempted to sin on a daily basis. The same temptations that vied for my heart and mind at home in the States, are also here... albeit more accentuated. There's no such thing as sanctification by aviation; my old nature flew over here with me! Help me be a champion over besetting sins and ongoing temptation.

Deliver me from evil
Peter wasn't exaggerating when he said, "Satan prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour." The prince of this world hates me and my work, but I am engaged in spiritual warfare against him. Thanks be to you, Lord, for you have given me - your frail yet willing ambassador - the victory!

Amen

- - - - -

"Christ's prayer stands as a model not only for our personal prayer, but for our ministries as well. It's only when my heart is captured by the awe of God that I will view my identity rightly. And it's only when I view my identity rightly that I will have a proper sense of need and a willingness to abandon my plan for the greater and more glorious plan of God."

  ~ Paul David Tripp, pastor and author


No comments: