11 January 2008

My Place at Matunda

Jim and Martin helped me dig holes to put in a bench out in the yard.
They really worked hard!


Martin has his foot proudly placed on the new bench.


This is Martin with his family. Faith wasn't around when I took the photo.
I've known this family for over five years now.




Nathan added some more grass to this one corner of my roof. It was getting thin in areas and rain was coming inside. In the top photo, you can see that he used this 2x3 piece of "timber" to hold himself in place on the slanted roof. His "ladder" is a desk he borrowed from the school. In the bottom photo, he's using his "panga" (machete) to trim the edges of the grass.

The Matunda market area didn't escape the violence and destruction during the recent political crisis. Shops and homes were burned down and families were chased from the area. I've heard reports of some killings, as well, although I'm not sure if it's a rumor or not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin is growing up so big! Please give him greetings and love from the "Hands of God" team.
Wafula

Anonymous said...

how funny...i was going to say the same thing. Marting is getting so big - he almost looks like a teenager in the picture with the sunglasses.
Teressa