03 November 2006

November Prayer Letter


Praise –
I recently joined four others for a 3-day trip to Garissa. One of our objectives was to encourage Rita, a Kenyan missionary. She teaches (as a volunteer) at the Bangale Primary School, in the hopes that she can be a witness for Christ among the Muslim population. I praise the Lord for safe travel, the opportunity to visit a very different and interesting part of Kenya, and also for the opportunity to encourage another missionary.
Recently I’ve “hosted” some fellow Omahans –
19-year old Travis (from a former church of mine): He spent ten days with me before going to South Sudan for two months with Samaritans Purse. I enjoyed introducing him to many of my friends and showing him various aspects of Kenyan life.
Chris, Erin, and Sonya (all in their 20’s): I exposed them to “normal” life in Kenya. Friday we had lunch – a feast – at Karo and Jeremiah’s house in Kayole. On Saturday, we took an adventurous tour of Kibera slums. While there, we ministered to a man we happened to meet. Sunday we attended the service at Karo and Jeremiah’s church in Kwa Njenga. Even though Chris, Erin, and I are from the same city, we met here in Kenya. I’m continually amazed at how God connects people.
Prayer Items –
Please pray for Rose, Sammy, Masha, and Esther as they take their KCSE exams. This is the climax of ones secondary school education in Kenya. Much emphasis is placed on the results.
Please pray for Karo and Jeremiah’s new business. They’ve opened a small shop (located right outside their house) to sell milk and other staple items. The profit margin on such businesses is small. Please pray that the Lord would prosper it and bring them many customers.
Please continue to pray for me as I teach at their church once a month. Besides the obvious language barrier (even with interpretation), there are many other hindrances to effective communication – babies crying unrelentingly, stifling hot air in the iron sheet building, nauseating smells from the pit latrine, the next door neighbor’s loud TV, rain leaking through the roof (in rainy season), etc.
Also, please pray for them regarding their landlady. Their church currently meets in a small school. She’s difficult to work with, to say the least.
Please pray for Rita as she serves the Lord in a challenging and lonely place.
As always, please pray that I’ll stay focused on the ministry God has assigned to me.
* * * * *
“All God’s people are ordinary people who have been made extraordinary by the purpose He has given them.” - Oswald Chambers
* * * * *
If you’d like to contribute to my financial needs:
Use my Omaha address (I’ll receive 100% of your contribution) –
Deb Smith
PO Box 34083
Omaha, NE 68134
[Make the check payable to Deb Smith]
Or, you can obtain a tax receipt (I’ll receive 90% of your contribution) –
Ripe For Harvest
2824 N. Power Rd. #113282
Mesa, AZ 85215-1674
[Put #98 on the memo line of your check]
[Make the check payable to Ripe For Harvest]
* * * * * *
My prayer is that this could be said of me –
“The teacher taught the plain truth, and she did so in an interesting way. A wise teacher’s words spur students to action and emphasize important truths.” Ecclesiastes 12:10, 11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

test